Wednesday 2 April 2008

Goodbye friend!

I took my last class at the IGNOU study centre in the Fisheries building today. There was a lump in my throat when I turned off the projector one final time. The building is being demolished and the study centre has already moved to a swanky new building.

There is something humane about these old buildings. They have a soul. They have so many stories to tell. You can almost hear the walls whisper to you in a conspirational tone.

The building was a reassuring sight during my hard days in 2001-2004. It ensured that I have at least a small job that pays me something when things were tough in my regular workplace. And when I came back after a brief break that lasted a year and a half in 2005-2006, it was like the prodigal son returning home. I was welcomed with both hands or doors rather

So many fond and not so fond memories.

Shared the pain with the student whose brother was in the World Trade Centre building on that fateful 9/11. Rejoiced with her when we got the news that he was safe.

Was at my wits end when a husband and wife, both my students, walked into the classroom with their 5 month old baby to attend a Marketing Management Class and sought permission to keep the baby inside. Not having the heart to say no, I consented and the class took place between the baby's crooning and everyone playing with the kid.

The building was a mute witness when I lost the thread with my past. I was disturbed from the class to be told that my father, who was an alter ego of me, has expired. I heard the news in stoic silence and not a drop of tear came out. Still dont know why. I cried a full 24 hours later.

The building introduced me to a cross section of expatriate indian students, of all age group and from different background. Most younger than me, some as old and a few much older.

The building also witnessed a turning point in life. It was when on a Vidhyarambham day, Martin called me out of the blue at 7 pm to come over. When I did, he had an application for M Phil duly filled awaiting my signature. I had decided not to go ahead with M Phil. It was as if someone was showing me the way from above through Martin. I did sign partly out of respect for his affection and I have never regretted it. Successful completion of M Phil has changed the perception people had of me. I am sure I won't have to write any more written examinations in my life. The building thus has a special place as the location where I wrote my last examination.

The last six months has seen tremendous change amongst the students. Workshops, GD Clubs, Cricket, Aavishkar competitions, E-Magazine........the list goes on.

It was as if the building almost showing defiance and saying "look this old man still has a spark left and has much more to offer. Is still vibrant. And you want to bring me down?"

Well. Anything constructed has to face the reality of destruction one day. Nothing is immortal. That is the law of the nature. And so it is with my friend the Fisheries building in Sharq.

I can almost visualize a heartless, soul less, ugly , giant glass skyscraper in its place in a year or two. The current building housed common people, simple guys who earned a few hundred dinars every month. The inhabitants were humane with no airs. The building empathised with them, comforted them during their tough times and was happy when they smiled. But now I foresee a set of high flying rich, spoiled corporate honchos talking nonsense with self assumed importance sitting where I enjoyed taking classes for my students

Goodbye friend! I wish I could stay this demolition. Alas! I don't have the power

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...