Thursday 12 November 2009

Does losing 80% of the seats constitute a great revival scripted by Rahul Gandhi in UP?

That our media pussyfoots when it comes to Congress party is a known case. But this must take the cake.
One newspaper claims that Rahul Gandhi has scripted a tremendous Congress revival in the UP by elections. I was bemused, because I remember reading to the contrary. To be on the safer side, I double checked the data and was soon laughing my head off at the blatant attempt of the reporter to highlight Rahul Gandhi. The facts are,
In UP, elections were held for 11 Assembly Seats and 1 Lok Sabha Seat. True, Congress won the one Lok Sabha seat from SP. But, out of the 11 Assembly Seats, BSP won 9 seats, Congress won 1 and an Independent who was with BJP won 1. Now 1 out of 11 cannot be considered to be revival of any sort. We can consider it a revival if Congress had come at least a close second in the seats it lost. No way. They were runner up only in 2 seats and lost their deposits in 4 others. In fact, a union ministers mother came a distant third.
So where is the great revival scripted by Rahul Gandhi?

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...