Friday 2 March 2012

The long overdue Reforms to better the lives of Traffic Policement is here!

Fag end of my birthday, when I was relaxing with a book on my hand, I felt someones presence. Looking up I saw my friend Budhi Rakshasan (BR), in a pensive mood.

"Swamy. Apologize for wishing you so late on your B'Day."

I gestured, saying it was inconsequential and asked "BR, what is new in the corridors of power, which you frequent?"

"The much awaited Police Reforms are here"

"Eh?" , for I had not read anything about Police Reforms for a long time.

"Swamy, there was always a clamour for increasing the living standards of our Police Force, especially those of the Constables and Traffic Policemen"

"So what has happened now that makes their life better, BR?"

"Swamy, you must have missed the news of Cabinet approving 10 fold hikes in Traffic Fines. You should not stop reading, even if it is your birthday that comes once in four years", he admonished me.



"BR. I am fully aware of that. So do you mean to say the hike in Traffic fines, would reduce the traffic offence and make the life of our Policement easier?"

"Swamy, you are not at your best today", he was literally mocking me - very annoying.

"Then?", I played dumb, for then BR will be at his sanctimonious best

"Swamy, our policemen are happy when there is an increase in traffic offence, not a decrease. You, being abroad, is out of touch with ground realities"

"Umm................................"

"Till now, a common man had to pay only Rs 50 or Rs 100 to a traffic cop as bribe, if he want to be not charged. And the 'poor' traffic policeman was earning only Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000 per month from these bribes."

"But the increase in traffic fines, Rs 500 for first offence for talking on mobile ( Rs 5,000 for second offence), Not wearing Seat Belts (which Indian car has a seat belt?) or helmets or jumping red lights means you have to pay a fine of Rs 500 - Rs 1500, or Jail Term or Rs 5,000 for drunken driving, should only prove to be a deterrent, reducing the offences" , I argued

"Tut tut. Nothing of those sorts will happen. People will still violate the law merrily, as we are a non-law abiding country. All the new law will mean is that instead of having a pay a Traffic cop, Rs 50- 100, a common man has to fork out Rs 500 - 100"

"Ummm.................."

"But would not the people rather pay the fine than bribe the cops?"

"Swamy, you have never been involved in a case where you are fined legally for a traffic offence. You will have to go to the court, and the case will be adjourned 3 times, and by the time you pay the fine legally, you would have wasted 3 working days, and at least would have had to spend thrice the amount of fine to just pay the fine. It is to get out of the legal hassles that people pay bribe"

"I see.................."

"It is why I said, the Traffic Cops are jumping with joy, as from now on they shall be earning nothing less than Rs 50,000- 60,000 per month as bribe, instead of Rs 10,000 - 15,000"

"But the effect of the new fines on traffic offence"

"None"

Poof! and BR was gone.


LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...