Friday 27 July 2012

Anbu Thollai!!

One of the things I miss in Gulf is the hospitality of the simple rural folk of India. Maybe because I have never been out of the Capital City of Muscat, I have not had a chance to experience the hospitality of the rural Omanis. But one thing I can say is that the hospitality of the fellow Indians in Gulf is miserable. Everything is artificial. One feels unwanted when one visits another apartment of a fellow Indian.

Years ago, when I was a Sales Officer in Coimbatore in early 1990s, I had a travelling job, overseeing the performance of Gas Stations (Petrol Pumps) in Coimbatore and the rural area surrounding it. The hospitality of Coimbatore people is legendary. They get offended if you dont drink the coffee offered, and they stuff you to the hilt if given a chance. Since I visit at least 5-7 Petrol pumps every day, and 4-5 Industrial customers, I had to drink innumerable number of coffees every day, spoiling my appettite. If I refuse the Coffee and the snacks, the dealer is hurt and takes it as a personal affront. When I confided this to a friend of mine, he gave me, what he thought, was a brilliant idea. He advised me to tell the dealers that I am under homeo treatment, and as such has to avoid Coffee and Tea. I put this into practice, without realising what this will lead to. All the dealers were pained to hear I was under treatment, but they just had to make me drink something. Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumalpet belt is famous for Tender Coconuts. The speciality of the Pollachi tender coconut (which used to cost Rs 2 those days) was that they were HUGE. Each tender coconut containted at least 3 full glasses of tender coconut water. Imagine drinking 8-9 like this every day. I just couldnt refuse this offer as tender coconut is ideal for homeo patients!!!!. Since mine was a travelling job, I had to stop the car every 20 minutes to take a leak, like a dog will do!!! After 3 months of this 'anbu thollai' ( loosely translated 'nuisance love'), I suddenly announced that I was cured fully, and as such could now drink coffee and tea. But the loving dealers will have none of it!! They used to advise me to avoid coffee and tea, and stick to tender coconut, a much healthier drink. I still fondly remember the love and affection of the Coimbatore dealers who pumped me with tender coconut water 20 years ago!

Much earlier than this, when I was a young kid, I used to go with my father, who as in charge of rural electrification. And we did really to to some remote nook and corner of Palghat district. Late 1970s and early 80s, Pepsi and Coke were unheard of. Even Gold Spot, Thumps Up or Limca were available in District Head Quarters. The luxury drink in the rural areas was the 'Colour'. This was offered to only VVIPs, as it cost them 30 ps , as against a soda that cost 15 ps. This was nothing but aerated sweetnened colour water (Well!! this is what Coke and Pepsi is, isnt it?), filled in a 'goli soda bottle'. God only knows what were the ingredients of it. But you had to feel the love in the voice of the poor villager when he sends an errand boy to get 'Sir and his son Colour'!. And he and the other villagers would swell in pride when they see us drink it!!

Where has that life gone?

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...