Sunday 18 April 2010

WAW factor

On a strict diet, post a health scare, I have discovered that we don't need as much food as we think we do. And a simple change in diet can work wonders for the body.

I have cut down my already limited vegetarian food intake by half and am none the worse for it. One thing I learned during the past 100 days is that I have a strong will power and am very tenacious - two qualities which were not associated normally with a laid back person like me. Typical of me, I coined the term WAW for my health plan - Walking, Apple, Water


Though I just love fruits, I have always hated Apple, till recently. When the good doctor advised me to eat more apples, I cursed him silently and told to myself "fat chance". But wanted to give it a good old fashioned try. And guess what? If I don't have half a dozen apples in the fridge at any point of time, I get mighty nervous.


The second had to do with walking every day. Ask me to play cricket, tennis, shuttle badminton or table tennis - or for that matter anything competitive, you can't drag me out of the ground or the court. But ask me to walk in the garden, then I find all sorts of excuse to get out of it. But not any more. I gritted my teeth, brought out my walking shoes and just started hitting the walking trail. I decided to increase the distance I walk everyday bit by bit. The good old 'kaizen' philosophy of quality improvement put into practice. I pushed myself a little extra every day. I have clocked at least 3 kms everyday for the past 100 days, except 4 or 5 days and have not missed my regular walk in the garden or on the beach front during the past 30 days on a trot. From a person who could barely walk quarter of a kilometre at the beginning of the year, now I dont break a sweat even if I walk for 5-6 kilometers. And this was achieved step by step, literally and figuratively. In the bargain, I discovered the beauty of the Kuwait beach front, the miles and miles of walking paths in the country, met some interesting people and on the whole have a different outlook of the country where I have been living for the past 10 years.



The regular walking has also increased my water intake. Though I am not a great believer of drinking 2 litres per day, it is a fact that drinking water does energize you and keeps you fresh for the whole day.I have lost weight, look and feel fitter and have more energy levels - both images captured by me

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...