Tuesday 18 August 2015

Graahaka: Devo Bhava

Ever wondered why China has grown leaps and bounds on the global business front, while the Western Countries are playing catch up?
About a month back I wanted a quote for some Oil Field Equipment to participate in a tender in Oman. I contacted a Chinese Company, and my query was handled by a young Sales Girl. Despite me giving her a stiff deadline (Just a Week), and giving difficult delivery terms, she did a terrific job. She met my specs, deadline and all other requirements well in advance. Despite a change in spec at the last minute, she, uncomplainingly, reworked the quote so that I was able to prepare my tender well in advance. And she has been following up with me on the fate of the tender religiously since then.
About a week after this, I had to contact a Western Company for a much bigger order of Oil Field Equipment. In this age of falling business in the Oil Sector, one would have expected them to work day and night to give me the quote which was worth nearly $ 7 Million. It is three weeks since I floated the RFQ, and I have been running from pillar to post to get my requirements met. First they didn't respond for a week. Then, they asked me to split the RFQ to three and send to three different people. Later, I got a mail saying it will take time as they are short staffed, as many are on vacation. Then a further excuse that they had to source it from third party. And as I type this blog, I am yet to get the quote for 2 Categories. All this, despite we having excellent personal contacts in that company!!
Unfortunately, Indian Companies also are very poor in meeting Client requirements. If Narendra Modi's push to make India a manufacturing super power has to be realized, he needs to ensure that our Companies have a very high level of customer orientation.
We are proud of our quote 'Athidhi Devo Bhava'
It is time we also chant the mantra
'Graahaka: Devo Bhava'

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...