Sunday 6 September 2015

A teacher being remembered

Teaching is a thankless job - during and after.
It is very rare that Students take the trouble to reach out to their teacher, remember them and wish them.
I, who give lot of respect to my Gurus ( I still call my Tennis Coach, 'Sir', though everyone else, including 6 year old kids call him 'Venky'), am unfortunate in many a way that I do not have the Contact details of any of my teachers, all of whom I vividly remember, and have contributed in their own way to mould me.
And being a teacher myself, having taught MBA students for 10 long years, I am proud that at least a handful of them still hold me in high regard, though we are in touch very rarely.
So it was a pleasant surprise to get this simple mail from a student who was under me 7 years ago.
Dear Sir,
Wish you all the best of health, wealth and cheer .Thank you for helping me out as a friend and teacher.
"Happy Teachers day" Sir !
God bless! 
Loving Regards 

Sharon 
At times I have wondered whether it was worth all the immense trouble I took in mentoring my students, now that I have stopped teaching since 2010 (One can sit back and reflect in an impassioned manner now that 5 years have passed. The picture on the right was taken after my last class on 27th September 2010). But mail from Sharon and a call from Shyam, suggested that it was indeed worth the effort.
Maybe when I look back late in my life, the main noble thing I would have done was to be a teacher and I might still savour the memories

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...