Sunday 8 November 2015

Straight ball on a Square Turner

One of India's famous Spin Quartet, Bishan Singh Bedi, once said that "On a Square Turning Pitch, the  most dangerous ball is the one that doesn't turn', which indirectly means 'don't get carried away by the prodigious turn that you are getting, but bowl the straight balls (or the arm balls in the case of Off Spinners and Left Arm Spinners or the Top Spinner in the case of Leg Spinners). more often. This is because the batsmen is expected to play for the huge turn, and can be caught napping if the ball goes straight through.

Ditto, on Seaming pitches, bowlers should not try to swing or seam much. Doing so might end up beating the bat very often, but all that will result in is a few oohs and aahs, but not regular wickets.

That Bedi was spot on is evident from the recently concluded Mohali Test, where more South African wickets fell to Straighter balls than to Viciously biting and turning ones.

This is true in other areas of life too. One tends to get carried away with success, and overdoes things which can backfire at a later stage.

Recently, I pulled off a  deal for my Company. I managed to close the deal with a major investor to set up a $ 11 Million New Company. Everyone expected me to have a major position in the new company, and it was a fait accompli. But I decided to walk away, satisfied that I have achieved what I set out to, and allowed others to run the Company. This caused considerable confusion, and panic amongst my colleagues and subordinates, who were baffled why I did what I did. They expected the big turning deliveries on a square turner but I bowled them a ball straight as an arrow.

Last heard, they were scratching their head. Let them for a while, till I explain to them why I did it.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...