Thursday 6 July 2017

The sky hasn't fallen yet, right?

The year was 1979. I had recently turned 15, just finished my Schooling (Those days Schools were only upto 10th Standard. You go to the College for the two year Pre Degree Course which is equal to the 11th and 12th) and had a vacation lasting nearly 3 months. Apart from attending the District Level Cricket Coaching Camp, there was nothing else to do other than read during the hot summer days.
 
I found my father reading Exodus by Leon Uris, a fat novel of more than 600 pages. An avid reader myself who was satisfied reading solid Malayalam Novels, English Comics, Enid Blyton, Biggles etc., I asked my father about Exodus.
 
"I am not sure you are old enough to read or understand Exodus, but I feel it is high time you start getting exposed to more serious novels, and this book shall provide a good exposure to the outside world for you". he replied.
 
I knew a bit about Israel and got involved in the book from day one. The story of the birth of Israel, their early struggles, their fighting spirit to succeed against all odds, the quest of the Jews to return to their native land for hundreds of  years inspired me no end. The protagonist Ari Ben Canan was a hero for me, as were his father Barak Ben Canan and even Akiva, who led the Maccabees and a complete antithesis to his brother Barak. I felt sad when I read India did not support the creation of Israel at the UN and couldn't understand why. I understood the incompetence and hypocracy of Nehru and Congress much later.
 
I must have read that book many times during the next 10-15 years and never ceased to amaze at the resourcefulness of the Israelis.
 
A couple of years later, I read a small book '90 Minutes at Entebbe' by William Stevenson, a book about the strategy and operations behind the one of the most heroic rescue operations in history. An exciting read on espionage and counter-terrorism, about how Israel's crack team rescued the passengers from the Hijacked Air France 139 Flight, at Entebbe Airport, Uganda, which was ruled by Idi Amin, who was supportive of the Hijackers and admired at their tenacity. Israel lost one soldier in that mission - Lt.Col. Yonatan Netanyahu, whose brother is the current Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu.
 
Thereafter I read a lot on Jewish Holocaust and the horrors, and how Israel hunted down every single perpetrators of the Holocaust much after WW II.
 
My Brother in Law who was working in Middle East made a visit to Israel, and gave me first hand information about the people and the country, which only reinforced my views about Israel.
 
As a young Management Graduate in late 1980s, I was keen on starting a Dairy Farm (30 years down the line, I still am) and always wanted to be an agriculturalist (still do). The amazing development Israel has made in these two fields have been followed by me over the years, and I have always wondered why Indians couldn't do what a small country like Israel do.
 
Maybe it has to do with understanding the value of their freedom, how much they cherish their country, their patriotism and their unending fight for survival despite being shunned by more than half the world.
 
They are not perfect, and at times their strong arm tactics are questionable. But being at the receiving end of cross border terrorism, as an Indian, I do feel that only their language of strength works. The passiveness of Indians have been taken for granted.
 
The vote bank politics, cowardice of the Congress Governments of the past meant we kept Israel at arms length, while supporting Palestine, who have always sided with our enemy. This was baffling to say the least. We did improve our relationship with Israel steadily over the years, but it was always on the sly, akin to a married man visiting his girl friend clandestinely during the night. And we missed no opportunity to vote against Israel at every opportunity at UN.
 
Israel has much to offer in many fields like Agriculture, Dairying, Defense. It is a great pity that it took a Prime Minister of India 70 years to visit an all weather friend, who has stood by us despite being insulted.
 
The warmth in the relationship, the welcome accorded to our PM during his visit to Israel should be an eye opener to all of us.
 
The scare mongers in the country shouted from roof tops all these years that India will be isolated if we have a robust relationship with Israel and Indian Muslims will be offended. Or in short the sky will fall on our heads -as the Guals fear in Asterix Comics.
 
Well, Modi has visited, laid the foundation for an excellent bi lateral relationship, and has invited Benjamin Netanyahu to India.
 
The sky hasn't fallen yet, right?

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...