Tuesday 7 August 2018

Interesting Characters I met in my life -1

Some interesting characters I met in life.....

When I was working with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd in Coimbatore, I had a Depot Manager. An Iyengar, by birth, he lived a life that was quiet contrary to how a Brahmin should live. A charming character, he was one of the most corrupt person I have seen in my life, and I have seen quite a few of them. And he had a wife to match his greed for money. The guy was all honey and milk, when he spoke to you. He started his career in erstwhile CALTEX as a Personal Assistant, and his Superiors progressed when the Company became HPCL, and took him with them. He was a Deputy Manager when I joined as a young 24 year old Sales Officer. Though I didn't report to him, I had to work closely with him to ensure free flow of supplies to Petrol Pumps under my control. He had provided everything from money to liquor to women to his erstwhile bosses, and they were already under obligation to him. Most of them had become Senior Managers when I joined. The guy took cut from Corrupt Transport Contractors, Dealers who adulterated, and never missed a chance to make money. He was a fat guy with a big paunch, wearing a very short shirt. He drank like a fish, and was much sought after by Superior Officials who visited Coimbatore, for he took care of all their 'needs'. Since those were the days when mobile phones had not entered the market, and me being a Bachelor, once I leave the house, there was no way my Regional Office in Cochin can reach me. They call the Depot and this guy to enquire about my whereabouts. I would have been in the Depot talking to him just 5 minutes before, and he knew jolly well I was standing outside talking to a Dealer. But when Regional Office call arrived, he would say I don't know where Rajan is 'NOW'. This left an impression in the Regional Office that I am not a team player, and the guy was technically correct in a way. He hated my guts as I was totally non corrupt, and waged a lone battle against corruption in the District. But he was always charming to me, gave lot of advises and more importantly regaled me with stories about the antics of many in the Top Management. Above all, he was a guy who could get anything done with his vast network.

Having worked as a Personal Secretary, he had wonderful command over both spoken and written English, and he used it to good effect. I had an office cum residence, and the Depot situated in the heart of the town was the only HPCL Official location. Disgruntled LPG Customers or Dealers sometime go there to see how I can be contacted. Instead of directing them to me, he will offer them coffee, make them comfortable, and assure to 'help' them, though it was not his job. He would then draft a wonderfully worded complaint addressed to Regional Office which will indict me heavily, get it signed by the Customer, and post it himself to Regional Office. After a while RO caught on to this, as all the complaints from Coimbatore had similar flawless language. He was warned not to interfere, but that didn't deter him in the least
 
He was very calculative. When he was saddled with an Operations Officer who was brutally honest, and who wouldn't support him in his nefarious activities, he manipulated to have him married to his late brothers daughter. But unfortunately for him, the girl was very sweet, and did not allow him to change his honest ways, thus checkmating her Uncle.
 
He used to make people confide in him to understand their troubles, and then help them with money or kind at a difficult situation, thereby making them obliged to him forever. He did this with all his staff, and other Sales Officers, Superiors. When I complained formally against him to my Regional Office, I met with a wall of unhappy faces, who didn't want me to make an issue of it, for they were all under obligation to him.
 
Working with him was fun, but one was always on tenterhooks, as you never knew what he will do to your detriment next.
 
He loved his food and his drink. He ate non veg, but always ended his meal with a small plate of curd rice. He would say "there is nothing like curd rice to satiate one's stomach'
 
But I still have a smile on my face when thinking about him, for he was a real charming guy, who had a terrific sense of humour, and had the rare ability to laugh at himself.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...