Friday 29 February 2008

Leap Year Boy

29th of February!!

The long wait for a birthday is finally over.

But why do I don't have any special feeling? Is it because one doesn't want to have a birthday when one is past 40?

44 years ago when I was born, parents would have had lot of expectations of me. Have I fulfilled them all? Can't even find out now as it is too late, for the parents are no more, for the first time since I was born.

A birthday,that too one that comes once in 4 years, is a nice time to take stock.

What could I have done better? More ambition? Less of laidbackness? More networking? More aggressive pursuit of career goals? Have I utilized the god given skills to the fullest extent? Am I an underachiever?

But then on the flip side, I have been fairly content. I am at peace with myself. I have created a small niche for myself in this world. And more importantly I have lived my own life without being dictated to.

The trick of being happy in one's life is to manage the expectations. I have made a conscious effort to do this during the period between the last birthday and this. And I am a much better person. The last four years have also made me more accommodative. A veil of serene detachment has fallen over me. And oh yes - I finished my M Phil during the intervening period.

What is in store for till the next birthday? Frankly I have not thought of it. But one thing I have in mind is that I would love to address you again through this blog on my next birthday and would like to sign off as Dr.Rajan Venkateswaran

One can dream after all! That is what birthdays are for.

I also bow my head in prayer to the Almighty for allowing me to be what I am. I wouldn't want to be anyone else.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...