Wednesday 23 March 2011

Why is the Government happy about the attack on Libya?

My friend Budhirakshasan is a fly in the wall in the corridors of power in Delhi.

I was quite pleased when he appeared last night out of the darkness, just when  I was raking my brain for a suitable topic for today's blog post.

"Good evening Swamy"

"Good Evening Bujee" - I call him Bujee, (I had written about Bujee before), short for Budhi Jeevi, as a mark of respect for the space between his ears.

"Do you know why India abstain in the vote in the UN Security Council on enforcing the no fly zone in Libya and not oppose it?"

"Nope"

"Because India was sure it will lead to US, France and UK attacking Libya and leading to a spike in the oil prices"

"And why should that be in India's interest?"

"Swamy, Swamy!! You are so naive. Who said it is in India's interest?"

"Then"

"It is in Congress and UPA's interest to have a higher oil price."

"Why?"

"The inflation was showing no signs of coming down, and elections to 5 States are on in April and May"

"So"

"The government and the party was running out of reasons for not being able to control the inflation. With oil prices crossing $110/bbl mark, they have a ready excuse now for the next 6 months by which time Kharif harvesting would have started."

"Bujee, you are so cynical"

"Cynical, my foot. You dont know Swamy how devious these guys are"


Poof!! and he was gone


And guess what. Today's newspapers had this story.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...