Thursday 28 February 2019

The Bully Learned a Lesson, albeit Painfully

These are difficult times. Pakistan sponsored terror attack on CRPF, and India's strong retaliation on JeM camps in Pakistan, has escalated the tension. It would not be wise on my part to add to the boiling cauldron. We let Modi, his team and the Armed Forces to do what is appropriate.

I am no war monger. But have been critical of India's wimpish response every time we have been attacked by Pakistan sponsored, trained terrorists. 

I am reminded of an incident about a decade ago, when I was teaching Executive MBA students in Kuwait. One of my student, unfortunately from my home state of Kerala, was in his early 30s,  a bit arrogant and a bully to boot.

Kuwait is a dry country. But illegal liquor was available. I have smelt liquor fumes in this student many a time, and asked him not to drive while returning home, under the influence of alcohol. He pooh-poohed my advisory, saying at best he will get a fine, which he will get erased from the system by paying someone bribe.

One night, he was driving home with another student of mine , when he was stopped by the Traffic Police. He was asked to take a breath analyzer test, which he failed. On being challenged ,he arrogantly told the Policeman to write a fine, as per the law. 

The Policeman looked at him calmly, and didn't like what he saw.

He said, "Oh no sir! I am not going to write a fine. This requires something else"

Saying that he opened his palm and slapped my student hard on his left cheek. The student staggered back a few steps from the impact of the slap.

The Policeman politely asked my other student in the passenger seat whether he is under the influence of alcohol. One getting a negative reply, he asked him to take over the wheel, and ensured they reached home safely.

The student who got the slap had a swollen face and impressions of 3-4 fingers on his cheek for 2-3 days. 

But more importantly, he never ever touched alcohol in Kuwait after that.

The Bully learned a Lesson, albeit painfully.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...