Saturday 12 July 2008

What man, you know

English is a funny language.

The antonym of 'Sufficient' is 'Insufficient'

So by the same logic 'Inflammable' should mean 'not flammable'!!! But.............

An English man got into a taxi cab in Mumbai. The driver reached a T-end in the road where he has to either take left or right. He asked the passenger,

"I presume I should be taking left"

"Right" said the passenger.

Now, what did he mean by that? Is it that the cab driver should turn right or whether what the driver said regarding taking left was right (correct).

Bernard Shaw, once asked to spell FISH, spelt it as 'GHOTI'

Queried he asked the questioner to pronounce the 'GH' in TOUGH, 'O' in WOMEN, and 'TI' in TUITION.

And then there are the Indian Convent educated girls, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari, who use the words 'what man' and 'you know' dozen times in every sentence to convey a range of meanings. It has always been a source of amazement to me.

This is a quick post. Shall catch up with you all later

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...