Sunday 13 July 2008

Words and Thoughts

The period was early 1980's. One of my brother's close friend was in search of a bride. As is the custom in Kerala, the family identified a suitable girl and he went to see her. After the initial introductions were over, others withdrew to allow the boy and the girl to talk to each other for a few minutes.

Incidently, they got married and the girl became very close to our family. She had a fine sense of humour and much later she used to narrate the experience in a witty manner. The dialogue as it happened is reproduced, with what her actual thoughts/or what she actually wanted to say in italics and in brackets.

Boy: So.................... your name is xxxx
Girl (coyly): ummmmm (Asshole, you don't even know my name, and you want to marry me?)
Boy: I see that you have passed B Sc
Girl: Yes (At least you know that. So you are not as dumb as you look)
Boy: Then why didn't you join for M Sc
Girl: Um.. ah.....no special reason. Just like that (Fathead. Any idiot knows if I have the marks I would have joined M Sc. I didn't because I was not good in studies. Also my parents thought it fit for me not to study further as they want to marry me off to a slob like you)
Boy: What are your hobbies?
Girl: Reading, listening to music......... (Well really dressing up and parading in front of prospective boys like you and answering stupid questions like these)
Boy: Can you cook north indian and south indian (dishes)?
Girl: Of course ( He he. I can definitely cook a north indian and a south indian if they will only allow me)
Boy: So do you like me. Will you marry me?
Girl: Ummm ( Stupid. I am the last of 7 children, 4 girls and 3 boys. Do I have a choice?. Of course I have to marry you and God help me!)

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...