Monday 10 November 2008

Pitfalls of Copy, Pasting

I have been fighting a losing battle (well, not quite) against students doing Cut, Copy and Paste to complete their assignments. This disease obviously has extended to the Corporate World, where every second document is Cut, copied and pasted. Hardly anyone seem to do any original work these days.

But danger lurks around the corner. I have come across some hilarious instances while valuing assingments and at workplace.

One that takes the cake was by a lady student doing her First Year MBA in Kuwait. As part of an assignment, she wrote "When I was in Siberia, doing a Consultancy, I met the CEO Mr........... and his response was...................................................". Knowing fully well that this particular student has never been to any countries other than Kuwait and India, I made a cryptic query on the Assignment " Can I please have a look at your Passport's visa pages?"

Another case was when I was working in the Investment Company. I go a document to review that was prepared by a Jordanian colleague of mine. The document was the Private Placement Memorandum of 50 pages for our new Investment Bank in Bahrain. The document repeatedly said "This bank in Palestine". On investigating, it came to the notice that the guy, who was a middle level executive, had cut, copied and pasted from another Bank's PPM document released earlier in the year and promptly forgot to take care of the Palestine issue.

Then there was this apocryphical incident,

A popular motivational speaker was entertaining his audience. Said he… 'The best years of my life were spent in the arms of a woman who wasn't my wife!'The audience was in silence and shock.


The speaker added… 'And that woman was my mother!'Laughter and applause…


A week later, a top manager trained by the motivational speaker tried to crack this very effective joke at home. He was a bit foggy after a drink.He said loudly… 'The greatest years of my life were spent in the arms of a woman who was not my wife!'The wife went mad with shock and rage.


Standing there for 20 seconds trying to recall the second half of the joke, the manager finally blurted out '….and I can't remember who she was!'


Moral of the story: Don' copy, but in case you have to, don't copy if you can't paste!

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...