Sunday 15 February 2009

Put your hand up please!

Never be afraid to grab an opportunity or to take a chance. Put your hand up during class even when you’re unsure of how ridiculous your answer will sound; chances are that 1/3rd of the class is thinking the same thing! Don’t worry about being found out to be wrong; a wrong answer is just as valuable as a right one. There is a chance that you may get a leg pulling from me. But that is to make you think and perform better. I always like students who answer than those who don’t. I like those who take initiative than who don’t. I like those who make a sacrifice so that others benefit, rather than a student who might be brilliant academically but very self centered. I would rather my students take 10 decisions and make 9 mistakes than not make any decision at all. I am tough on students whom I like, because I want them to stretch further. In fact I am very tough on myself, and I am my own biggest critique. Good managers are often successful because they take chances and are not afraid to go against the grain in the board room; test drive this philosophy in the classroom! Management is a way of life. One needs to be professional in every small thing one does.
All of my students are leaders, one way or other. There is eagerness in everyone to lead in some capacity or another. Learning to lead without necessarily being the leader is a very powerful concept. Challenge yourself to figure out how you can help your peers and make a positive impact in the class. Be there for your colleagues when they need you most, and share your talents and gifts; doing so will earn you respect and increase your influence in the classroom. Do not live in a world of your own. I have heard many people complain to me that ‘no one helps them’. I always counter it with a question ‘How many people have you helped?’. Always think what you can do for others, not what you can get from others. Also, do not ask the question ‘Why should I?’. For a change, ask yourself ‘Why shouldn’t I?’

Last but not the least, set apart some time to develop knowledge every day. In today’s knowledge economy your knowledge level alone matters. If you do not upgrade your knowledge on a daily basis, you will be left behind in no time. No amount of degree certificates or working years will help you. Also, keep on honing your soft skills. Apart from the fact that I enjoy teaching, one of the main reason I teach is that it helps me improve my communication skills, sharpen my ability at repartee, makes me think on my feed, helps me explain my thoughts in an organized manner and finally gives me terrific confidence. I have accomplished much, and I can easily sit back and relax. But I push really hard. That is the only way to be ahead in the rat race.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...