Monday 27 April 2009

A semester not to remember

Another Semester of taking classes for MBA has passed by.
It has been a mixed semester for me. On the one hand, I did make some progress with improving the quality of my classes, definitely MS 3, MS 1 and MS 95. On the other hand, my relationsip with many students/batches deteriorated. The co-curricular activities, though we did get some good participation for most programs, is going nowhere, mainly due to student apathy. They are being wound up next semester, unless students come forward to organize it. Family day was a high point. I was able to uphold the high standards set by me for myself of not starting any class late or cancelling any scheduled classes this time around too.
The enthusiasm for the students to study is flagging. Hardly anyone puts a decent effort. Maybe everyone has other concerns associated with the fallout of Global Financial Crisis on their minds, then maybe not. Quality of Assignments have deteriorated, with students taking the easier way of rampant copy, pasting, necessitating me adopting harsher grading of assignments, something I have to do but am not fond of doing.
While last semester was fun guiding 6 hard working students on their projects, the attitude of the two students doing the project this semester was a big let down. The saddest part is that they are capable of much more but spoilt it with their casual approach.
Almost gave up teaching, but found another self actualization need to keep me continue teaching, albeit with a lesser workload in the coming semesters.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...