Friday 10 April 2009

Teaching Balance

I have observed that a good majority of the Children born to Teachers have certain special features. They all make good Number Twos but lack the initiative to become the number one. They are the epitome of all that is good, and are generally very ethical. Disciplined in life, they have a fetish for being led, obey orders without questioning and tries to be perfect in what they do. This makes them invaluable as number two's. But they just do not have the vision, dynamism, right brained thinking, multi-tasking, quick decision making, leadership qualities needed to by numero uno.

I have a theory on this. I strongly feel that the Teachers see so much that can/and do go wrong with their students that they put considerable pressure on their own kids to ensure they become paragons of virtues.

It is true in one way. Teaching can be so frustrating, with majority of the students showing absolute lack of interest in studies and carry a poor attitude. By the end of every semester I feel like giving up teaching forever. Making my MBA students study and learn something is akin to banging my head against a wall - day in and day out.

When I am about to chuck it all away, some nice things happen and my faith in human nature and teaching is restored.

It was the same this time around too. I was so depressed that I had decided to slowly phase out my teaching commitments over the next year and a half possibly.

Then a series of small, unconnected incidents restored my faith partially,

I had taken the orientation program for the Bachelors students six months ago and then stood up for a sick teacher one day teaching them Micro Economics introduction. One of the young girls in the class, barely out of school, sent me a mail recalling that I had told in the orientation class that if students have any doubts, they can mail me any time. She had a genuine doubt as to how to approach her studies, mailed me stating that she has full confidence in my advice and will go by whatever I say. She also appreciated my 2 lectures, pointing out how she was benefitted by them and beseeched me to take some lectures for her class. On receiving my reply to her queries, she again came back saying that she never had a doubt that I will reply promptly and had full faith in me. The fact that a young student had so much faith in me affected me a lot. The operative word here is faith.

My MBA students are rarely interactive in the class, for whatever reason. But for the first time in my decade long association with IGNOU, I am enjoying teaching my Semester 1 students Macro Economics. The class, well at least 6-7 of the students, are so interactive that questions, thoughts and comments fly back and forth. Some of the queries has challenged my knowledge and at times I had to go back and refer. The purpose of any lecture is to stimulate the brain of the students and make them think, while at the same time raising the level of thinking of the faculty. How I wish all my MBA classes are like this!!

A month ago, when we were stuck with finding a volunteer to edit our IGNOU E-Magazine, I turned to an old student of mine, who has moved to Dubai - Tina to bail us out. When no one was coming forward in Kuwait to edit the magazine - barring one young, inexperienced girl - we were at our wits end. But Tina (the acronym TINA means There Is No Alternative !) put her hands up and giving respect to my request put her heart and soul into it ensuring the magazine was published on due date. The vast network and reservoir of talent amongst the students, and what they can do when they are prepared to do Nishkama karma and when they stretch themselves is very gratifying as a teacher.

I had taken the onerous responsibility of guiding a group of six students in their Final Semester MBA Project during July-November 2008. I had driven them hard and made them really sweat it out. My tough work ethic had even led to one of the original 7 to drop out and opt for another faculty. I had always thought that on submission of their Projects, these students will take all possible care to not come anywhere near me in the future. But surprisingly, all the six of them today are great personal friends. Yesterday their results came out. Four out of the six have got 'A' Grade (One project is under dispute and one result is yet to be published). It is debatable who was more happy - me or the students?. Late at night Nitin and Seema dropped by my house to offer me a box of sweets and to share their happiness with me. A nice gesture, but the fact that they thought of remembering me in their time of joy, made my day as a Teacher.

Should I continue teaching? The balance is not so one sided against teaching now, but still...................................................

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...