Wednesday 27 May 2009

Marketing bloomers

I have come across funny advertisements at local level in India. I have a good collection and shall post it one of these days.



But one would expect top companies, especially trans-naitonals, who spent millions of Rupees on Marketing Research not to goof up!



Cadburys created a majore gaffe in 2002. It compared a brand of chocolate to the disputed territory of Kashmir and describing both as "too good to share".The blunder occurred in an advertisement to promote Cadbury's Temptations brand on India's independence day. The newspaper campaign featured a map of India showing the war-torn area of Jammu and Kashmir shaded over. Written in bold across the shaded area was the message "Too good to share" - the advertising slogan for Cadbury's Temptations brand of chocolates. "I'm good. I'm tempting. I'm too good to share. What am I? Cadbury's Temptations or Kashmir?" ran the catchline. There was a big hue and cry with readers blasting Cadbury for insensitivity. Cadbury's had to do a hasty retreat and apologize. Needless to say, the ad was pulled out.


McDonald's came up with a brochure that showed turbaned Indians, purportedly the Sikhs, in its promotional literature. But unfortunately, someone had taken the picture from National Geographic and did not notice that the original picture had Pakistani men.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...