Wednesday 20 May 2009

Of bald head and pot belly

Many make fun of my bald, pot bellied, rotund figure. Not that I care a fig about how I look. But there are certain advantages I have over others because of my Assets(!).

Take the bald head for example. I need to cut my hair only once in 4 months and dont have to worry about greying. Drying my hair after a headbath is very easy. All I have to do is to pass a hand over the head from front to back. No towels and no worried looks at hair stuck to the towels. Hair oils and Shampoos purchased last a life time. And of course, I dont need a comb or a hair brush. And above all I dont have to worry about missus getting lost in a crowd in a shopping mall. All she had to do is to look around at eye level and watch out for a nice reflection from my shining pate. There is a huge plus point. The receding hair line results in an extended forehead that gives me a 'Bujee' look (For the uninitiated, Bujee is a short form for Budhi Jeevi in Malayalam, or a more realistice 'Intellectual Ass Hole' in English). This helps a lot especially when you are working as a Senior Management Professional, essentially advising Top Management on Strategy or when you are working as a Management Teacher. People swallow whatever you tell as gospels truth, since in their view you are a Bujee.

The main benefit of having a pot belly is while travelling economy class in an airplane. The Economy Class seats have a contraption called Tray Table that enables one to place the meal tray in front of you and eat. One needs to be a master acrobat and a wizard in tummy tucking to use it. Sometimes I have wondered whether the airlines have deliberately designed the Tray Table so that the passenger is forced to take in his stomach while eating, resulting in reduced intake. Anyway, I have no such problems. I just sit normally, do not open the tray table, but rather ask the Air Hostess to put the tray on the natural table, i.e my pot belly. I do get envied looks from my co-passengers struggling with their tray tables and meals.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...