Friday 19 June 2009

Key to Success and Happiness

As a blogger, I have tried my best to be original. But at times, I do come across some genuinely good write ups that is worth sharing . The one on success and happiness by Bud Caddell is one such. Read on...............




We can’t determine how to make enough money from the things we want to do, and do really well. I’m constantly surprised at what can be monetized. And on the web, there’s a market for almost anything. But this problem requires you to rapidly iterate your positioning and the type of clients you serve. Often, we’ll get transfixed on a single direction early on (because we’re desperate to solidify our business) and we’ll miss our chance to radically experiment with the market.
We’ve found things we want to do, and can be paid for, but we’re not the best game in town. Mediocrity is not a sustainable strategy. Being able to recognize your own weakness is a profound strength, and acting to improve what you do is key to any kind of long term growth and stability. Find the best talent and steal them. Learn how your competitors run their businesses, and copy what works.
We’ve come across things people want us to do, that we do well (or at least better than the competition) that we really don’t want to do. This is perhaps the most fatal trap for any business I’ve worked in. These are the sirens calling you to shipwreck. You’ll hemorrhage your best people, you’ll stop loving what you do, and you’ll lose the passion that built your business in the first place. Start saying ‘No.’

Though the above pertains to own business, the principle can be applied to any profession. I have been comfortable with all the shaded areas which overlap, except one - How to monetize What I do well and What I want to do. I have been very poor on this, leading to people taking me for a ride and my feelings being hurt. I know of many people who just cannot say 'No'. If you want to be succesful in life, you have to learn to say an emphatic NO. Others may not like it initially (and many dont like me on this count), but in the long run they do come around and appreciate your stand. Finally, nothing is more important than doing enough to handle the 'Learning to do better' portion. Here is where your fundamental attitude comes into play. Take care of this and you will go far in life.


LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...