Friday 31 July 2009

A lump in the throat, a tear in the eye and a mood of melancholy

Today happens to be a very private one for remembrance.
A day I lost a part of my life 5 years ago - My father.
He would have appreciated this blog where he to be alive and would have been a vociferous critic of it too. He always set the bar very high for me, though he was baffled why I was not ambitious as he was. My laidback attitude was in complete contrast to his relentless drive towards success.
How a sensitive, art loving, fragile and dreamy Pisces son and a bull headed, hard nosed, practical and down to earth Taurus father ever got along so famously is a mystery by itself. Maybe the opposites attract and gel well.
There are lots of him in me and I suspect towards the end of his life there were a lot of me in him too.
I imbibed lot of hobbies from him - reading, music, astrology, a love for sports and crosswords.
I did my duty as a son to him and more while he was alive, and as he used to say, he had a great innings before he decided to get out.
So there should not be any cause for sadness on his 5th death anniversary.
Then why do I have a lump in the throat, a tear in the eye and a mood of melancholy on this day?

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...