Tuesday 14 July 2009

NO to Meetings and Committees

I have a thumb rule for greater effectiveness in the workplace.

  1. SCRAP ALL MEETINGS
  2. WHATEVER HAPPENS, DO NOT FORM A COMMITTEE

In my 22 years of professional life, I am yet to come across a meeting that has resulted in positive decision or even decisions at all. Most of the time, it is a platform for people (read the head honcho) to sermonize as to what is his philosophy. The amount of time that goes into preparing for a meeting, the endless presentations and the limited outcome is a curse in more ways than one.

If you do not want to take a decision, then the only thing to do is to form a 'Committee'. Last heard the Government of India had more than 100 ministerial committees 'looking at' various critical issues facing the country and the economy. Most of these committee were formed in 2004-2005 when MMS took charge the first time around. Well, 5 years on, they are still 'looking at it' and worse, additional committees have been formed to review the recommendations made by the previous committee which will be put up to the Cabinet which in turn will form another committee to suggest action to be taken that will be reviewed by another committee to....................................... I hope you get the gist.

Want to get things done? Find out who has the decision making power, go to him directly, sit on his neck and get your work done. I do, and hence my success as a professional.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...