Saturday 31 October 2009

Undeserving martyrdom foisted

31st October!!!. Lot of memories flood back. 25th Anniversary of Indira Gandhi being assassinated and 25 years to the day that changed my life forever - the day I got my MBA admission. I can remember that day, a quarter century ago, as it happened yesterday. I had posted on this in June 2009, and again reproduced it in the IGNOU Kuwait E-Magazine. Still, for those who missed both, here is the link,
I was watching the TV yesterday where the anchor in NDTV (congress mouthpieve of course), kept on repeating about the Martyrdom of Indira Gandhi!!. Something irked me. I went and looked up at the dictionary for the meaning of the word 'martyr' - A martyr is somebody who suffers persecution and death for refusing to renounce a belief - Now, now, could someone enlighten me as to what belief Mrs Gandhi held, and what persecution she suffered????. True, Indira Gandhi was killed by her Sikh Body Guards after she tried to root out Sikh militancy in Punjab. But, the Sikh militancy was something she fed and nourished over the years - a monster she created to counter the Akalis politically - through supporting Bhindranwale and his ilk. It was more of a case of 'She who lives by the sword (pun unintended), dies by the sword'.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...