Wednesday 16 January 2008

Building beautiful monuments

There is a lovely story that depicts one's approach to work,

Three stone-cutters were engaged in the construction of a temple. Someone asked them what they were doing. The response of the three workers to this innocent-looking question is illuminating.

'I am a poor man. I have to maintain my family. I am making a living here,' said the first stone-cutter with a dejected face.

'Well, I work because I want to be known as the best stone-cutter in the country,' said the second one with a sense of pride.

'Oh, I want to build the most beautiful temple in the country,' said the third one with a visionary gleam.

Look at the difference in perspective.

The Bhagavat Gita exhorts us to develop the visionary perspective. We should have a larger vision and our work should be aimed at the common good.

Most of the people I have met (especially in the Middle East) are like the first worker. They tend to look at everything from a monetary angle. What do I get if I do this job or if I help a particular person? I am not saying this is wrong. But then you cannot except others to have a different approach when it is something pertaining to you.

The other day, a business associate of mine asked me 'Rajan, you are totally involved in this project with me. But we have not even discussed the terms and conditions for your consultancy service. Tell me, what makes you do this with so much passion'

My reply, ' What you wanted me to do is something perhaps only a handful of people can do in Kuwait and I am one of them. For me, it is art for the sake of art. I love doing it, because I have the skill sets to do it, and it has to be done'

He is a very perceptive man and am sure he understood.

Am I right? Only posterity will be able to tell you that. But I am at peace with myself and I am developing a unique personality style, like the worker who is building a beautiful temple. For me money is a means to achieve an end, not an end by itself.

I have to live with myself first and cannot go against the 'beat' (thalam) of my life.

I want to build wonderful monuments, great pieces of work that lasts beyond me.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...