Wednesday 12 March 2008

Attitude

One day a just arrived Indian expat in Kuwait asked a local.

"Excuse me, do you mind if I ask you a question?".

"Not at all," replied the wise Kuwaiti.

"I am new to Kuwait and was working for 4 years in Oman. Tell me what it is like in Kuwait?

"Tell me," said the aged Kuwaiti "What was your experience of Oman and its people ?"

"Dreadful," replied the Indian, "to be honest I am glad to be away from there. I found the people most unwelcoming. When I first arrived I was greeted coldly. I was never made to feel part of the country no matter how hard I tried. The people keep very much to themselves, they don't take kindly to expatriates. So tell me, what can I expect in Kuwait?"

"I am sorry to tell you," said the wise man "but I think your experience will be much the same here".

The Indian hung his head despondently and went away.

A few months later another Indian expatriate came to Kuwait and met the same wise old Kuwaiti.

"Salam Aalikum," said the Indian.

"Wa Aalikum Salam" said the Kuwait.

"How are you?" asked the Indian.

"I'm well, by god's grace" replied the Kuwaiti, "Are you new to this country?"

"Yes, just landed a week back" replied the expatriate. "Can you tell me how the country is?"

"I can," replied the Kuwaiti "But first tell me - where did you work before?"

"I was working in Oman for 2 years."

"And how was your life there?"

"It was a wonderful experience. I would have stayed if I could but I got a good offer in Kuwait. I felt as though I was a part of the Omani Culture. The elders gave me much advice, the children laughed and joked with me and people were generally kind and generous. I am sad to have left there. It will always hold special memories for me. And what of Kuwait?" the Indian asked.

"I think you will find it much the same" smiled the good old Kuwaiti

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...