Friday 7 March 2008

Original and the Imposter

In 1915, on his return to India from South Africa, Mahatma Gandhi, on being advised by his mentor and guru Gopala Krishna Gokhale undertook a tedious travel across India that lasted months. He travelled as one amongst the common man, in buses, bullock carts, 3rd class compartments in trains and walking. What he saw totally disillusioned him. He was appalled by the poverty in the rural areas and got a first hand experience of how the people of India lived. This journey had a profound impact on him. This led him to discard his affinity for western life and he even resorted to being what the English derisively called him 'the half naked fakir', just so that he can identify himself with the plight of the common man. He was a changed man on his completion of this epic travel across the country. The rest, as they say, is history.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I read a news report mentioning another Gandhi (albeit an imposter) planning to travel, well OVER INDIA, in a,bear with me, HELICOPTER to SEE for himself how ORDINARY INDIANS LIVE.

I am not joking. The Gandhi in question is the heir apparent- Rahul Gandhi.

I have not stopped laughing and crying at the same time since yesterday when I read this for the first time. Would really like to know which dimwit advised Rahul Gandhi to go ahead with the crazy scheme and would also like to know the IQ of Rahul Gandhi who consented to it.

This is the pits.

Cry my beloved country!

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...