Friday 21 March 2008

A little of me in them?

People who know me are aware of my passion for reading. I read anything and everything that I can lay my hand on - from classics to fiction to comics.

I was initiated to reading at a very young age. I remember that when I was in the school going age, my father used to subscribe to 3 newspapers and about 15 magazines. Father had a fine collection of novels and classics. For a young boy in an era when the Television has not made its appearance, reading was the only way out.

My colleagues and students mistake me for a die hard extrovert. But truly, I am an introvert to the core. I force myself to be an extrovert at work as a part of a conscious effort in personal brand building. Give me some spare time, I would like to do nothing better than be at home reading or listening to music.

And books are my best friends. Through them I get to know different types of people. Varying situations. In depth knowledge about nations, processes and how various organizations work. My emotions ebb and flow with the book on hand.

Reading itself is slowly going out of fashion. Nothing wrong in that. The purpose is to acquire knowledge. If you can get it from some other source, then it is fine. But tell me where else can you get exposed to different thinking and that too in depth.

Though I have read the scriptures, philosophy and classics in my time, I am confining this post to some good casual fiction that I have enjoyed.

The book that left a lasting impression on me is Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'. The story of Atticus Finch, Jem and Scout in a society that is divided racially is etched in memory.

Alex Hailey's 'Roots' inspired me to trace my ancestry for which I am grateful.

Leon Uris's 'Exodus' made me an admirer of Israelis.

M T Vasudevan Nair's 'Rendamoozham', in malayalam, exposed me perhaps for the first time to question conventional wisdom and encourage lateral thinking in me, an immense skill to have for any person.

Loved P G Wodehouse. I can never forget Bertie Wooster and Jeeves. PG Wodehouse's novels were instrumental in improving my vocabulary, as Jeeves has a habit of using some rare words to Bertie and then explaining the meaning.

"All things Wise and Wonderful" and its sequels by the Vetenarian turned author James Herriot gave personality to animals, something which was always close to my heart as I possess an inherent love for animals.

The book that made me quite sad and left a tinge of sadness in the heart was John Grisham's 'Chamber', the story of a convict in the death row. I recommended it to my late father and he was well shaken after he read it. A different book from Grisham, one of my favourites.

I always had a liking for detective stories and lawyers. Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason still continues to be favourite. Though most prefer Sherlock Holmes, my vote goes to the little catholic priest Father Brown, a G K Chesterton creation.

Arthur Hailey, gave me a deep understanding of various industries through a series of books Airport, Hotel, Wheels, Money Changers, Final Diagnosis, In High Places, Strong Medicine, Evening News..................... It helped me a lot in my profession as a manager. Maybe there is a Mel Bakersfield in me after all.

A right brained guy like me should never have liked Fredrick Forsyth, whose eye for detail is terrific. But one of my all time favourites 'Day of the Jackal' taught me the importance of meticulous planning and organization.

Tom Clancy gave me an insight as to how the US government at the top works through his Jack Ryan Series of novels.

The adventurer in me identified with Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt.

It is difficult to choose a few from the thousands of books I have read. Some of the characters have become a part of me. Is it because there is a little of me in them? I wonder.................................

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...