Tuesday 27 January 2009

Lie another day

How many times have we tried to cover up our shortfalls with lies and brags? There are countless occasions when we spoke untruths, from telling a convenient lie in the house to impressing our managers. Often, there is no ill intent. I personally feel it is human nature to lie. Many a time we tend to say things to boost our profile and status in a casual setting.
Personally, I have lot of regard for people who are honest about their knowledge and capabilities. While recruiting people, I have come across many resumes where the job seeker has added lot of hype into his resume in order to clinch a job. And this had led to hilarious situations where the candidate was seen to be fumbling when queried about what is mentioned in his CV, as in the first place he had taken outside help to prepare his resume and had not even bothered to check what is written there. An interviewer can ask questions only based on what is present in the resume. So one is digging one's own grave while misrepresenting facts in the resume.
Even if you get a job based on this cooked up resume, there is a flip side to it. The impressive resume results in an increase in expectations by the employer. If the candidate fails to perform to that level of expectation, his employers shall get disillusioned fast.
Conversely, consider another situation where a job seeker admits to his shortfalls, but lets the employer know he is willing to work hard to improve. The employer might give him a chance to try out the job, and with hard work, the employee is likely to surpass the employer's expectations.
Let people recruit for what you are. If you dont meet the requirements, it is fine. Anyway you wont be happy in a job where your skills cannot be used.
While working in the Direct Investment Division of an Investment Company, I got a call from a head hunter for the post of Financial Controller. The headhunter had barely noticed that I work in an Investment Company and assumed that I am competent to handle the FC post.
I listened to her patiently as she was trying to sell the post to me in right earnest and then said " I do not mind taking up the post. But kindly check with the prospective employer whether they would prefer to have someone as Financial Controller who do not know the difference between Debit and Credit".
After a stunned silence, she burst out laughing. Since then she keeps calling me once in 2 months to find out if I am in the job market and has given me an assurance that whenever I need a job in Kuwait, she will fix one up for me in less than a week.
I would also recommend that the senior be honest with their staff always. If you do not have an answer to a question, just admit that you do not know, but will get back with an answer soon. I do it while teaching. If I dont know, I tell that upfront but always take the pains to find the answer and revert to the student within the deadline I have given him/her. Bluffing when you dont know the answer is the surest way to lose respect. And respect once lost is difficult to regain.

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...