Sunday 6 June 2010

2 anna syndrome

The Indian Rupee was once divided into 16 Annas, with today's 50 paise equal to 8 annas.

Though we got Independence 63 years ago and Anna gave way to Paise, it is easy to equate my MBA Student's mindset in Anna terms.


I call it the Two Anna Syndrome, or 1/8th of a Rupee Syndrome (The 2 annas were in existence till 1957 and is depicted in the picture).

Only half of my students (i.e; 8 annas, assuming 1 Rupee to be the whole) believe or take seriously my advice given during the orientation program and during the first semesters as to how to go about a MBA program, the need to read extensively, to take the assignments seriously, not to miss an opportunity to develop soft skills, to focus on applications of theory in practice and to write the examinations in the first attempt.

Out of that half, a further half ( i.e; 4 annas, half of 8 annas) actually makes an effort to try and put that into practice some way or other.

Only a further half of those (i.e; 2 annas, half of 4 annas or 1/8th of a rupee) who try to implement my advice sustain it till the end of the program, the balance dropping it mid way through.

Thus, in a class of 24, 12 listen to me, 6 try and follow the advice initially and only 3 sustain it.

Here is to those 2 anna students!!!

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...