Thursday 3 June 2010

5 Why's


Japanese have a simple technique of asking 'Why' 5 times to arrive at the root cause of a problem. The standard example is as follows,



1. Why has the machine stopped?
    A fuse blew because of an overload

2. Why was there an overload
    There wasn't enough lubrication for the bearings

3. Why wasn't there enough lubrication?
    The pump wasn't pumping enough

4. Why wasn't lubricant being pumped?
   The pump shaft was vibrating as a result of abrasion

5. Why was there abrasion?
   There was no filter, allowing chips of material into the pump

   Installation of a filter solves the problem.
 
Another example that I am fond of narrating goes like this.
 
An employee is late to the office. He is queried by the Manager.
 
1. Why are you late today?
     Sir, I missed the bus.
    ( Wrong Solution: Dont you know you have to be on time. Reach the bus stop early tomorrow)
 
2. Why did you miss the bus?
     I was late getting up
    (Wrong Solution: Buy a good alarm clock)
 
3. Why did you get up late?
    I went for a late night movie with my wife
    (Wrong Solution: Dont go for a late night movie the night prior to a working day)
 
4. Why did you have to go for a late night movie when today is a working day?
    My wife is upset because I am going late every day.
    (Wrong Solution : Go home on time. Dont stay back in the office)
 
5. Why are you staying back in the office?
    I have been recently posted to a new job for which I am not trained properly. Hence I am forced to stay back to complete my work
   (Correct Solution: Arrange a proper training program for the employee ASAP)

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...