Monday 14 June 2010

German brilliance

German football team used to remind me of my father. He built three houses, post retirement. All the houses are functionally bloody efficient but aesthetically jarring, which hurts my delicate pisces sensibilities.

As a professional, I admire the German efficiency. But I never thought I would see a day when I would be actually enjoying a football match involving Germany.

But the German team in this World Cup looks so different. They are young, energetic and absolutely breathtaking to watch. Yesterday Australia played a unique 4-6 combination, packing the mid field with 6 men with no one up front. That tight defensive approach would have baffled any team, including Brazil who have time and again been troubled by highly defensive teams. Such teams have 6-8 men in the penalty area whenever the opposition attacks. Very tough to crack them. In fact Greece won a European Cup adopting such a tactic a few years back. But this young German team, with 9 of them less than 25 years old, was brilliant yesterday. They were pleasing, moved the ball forward magnificently, the midfielders run behind the forwards into the goalmouth was breathtaking, the crosses superb, they used the right wing effectively and finally they finished with clinical precision. And of course, their defense was solid, except for an early blemish in the 4th minute. The 4-0 victory over Australia was fully deserved. The Australians were baffled by the lighting quick runs of the mid fielders behind the man up front and were caught napping time and again. It was a tactical masterpiece. The team of the tournament so far for me. That is no mean feat considering we have seen what Argentina and Messi can do.  This German team oozes with class and are a treat to watch. 

So, follow the future matches involving Germany carefully. They can but improve and that is bad news for some of the other teams.

My take on the major title contenders as on date;

Germany - Absolutely Brilliant
Argentina - Lived upto their potential. Very creative mid field trio in Messi, Veron and Tavez.
England - Reminded me of a political party in India. No strategy, everyone working at cross purposes.
France - Shabby, drab and uninspiring. 

LIFES LESSONS - My Poem

LIFES LESSONS - A Poem by Rajan Venkateswaran   At Eight and Fifty  I learned to take baby steps again  For neuropathy had laid me down  Ma...